Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Jerry Maguire Moment

Today was my last day of work. I had worked at the shelter for about 5.5 years. I have gained a lot of skills and abilities that I will take with me into the next chapter of my life. I have also gained a lot of funny stories... to which I will share at another time.
There is something somewhat empowering in handing in one's resignation notice and basically stickin' it to the man... when I handed in my notice I left work feeling happy. I was listening to my iPod wanting that Jerry Maguire moment where I skip the songs looking for that perfect song that makes me scream at the top of my lungs... this did not happen. I did however listen to U2's Stuck in a Moment which is somewhat symbolic of the job itself but not very empowering.
My co-workers, bless their hearts, threw me a going away get together for my last few hours of work. It was nice to say goodbye to people, in all honesty, that I may never see again. That's the wierd thing about jobs... you make great relationships with co-workers and then you leave them or they leave you with the 'ya I'll call you for lunch sometime' adage knowing full well that this will probably not happen.
I did not have a box of stuff that one assumes one would have when clearing out their office... instead I had a Safeway bag to my belongings in... oatmeal packages that i would eat for breakfast, pen holder, insignificant papers, etc. The ironic part is that when clients leave the shelter they always take their stuff in plastic bags... it made me laugh that I was doing the same. I handed in my keys and as I walked with my big bag of stuff, my water bottle, jacket, and purse I thought I am missing something... my work keys. I felt naked without them.
I got in my car and switched the station and listened to Natasha Beddingfield's Unwritten.... it was my Jerry Maguire moment. It was the end of the song but who cares... it was my moment.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

So what's the next big chapter Miss Alisha??

janaya said...

i seriously wish my life had a soundtrack. like for real. if i had three wishes, one of them would be to live the rest of my life with an appropriate soundtrack going on in the background... the second would be to never have to stop at a red light or stop sign ever again... and of course the third would be for more wishes. 'cause if you didn't wish for more wishes, you're just missing a great opportunity.